Share your thoughts about Coaching Health Professions Students

Feeling Pandemonium

Feeling Pandemonium

by Maria Suga Dioko -
Number of replies: 1

I went through the typical stages a person goes through when confronted with a stressful situation.

Denial: When I first heard about the disease last January, my reaction was: "So, it's just another virus-self limiting. Why should I worry?" Even when I heard that it has spread through other countries, I reassured myself that it will not survive the heat of the country. It will just be like SARS-COV 1, it died a natural death. 

Anger: Last March, the reality of the pandemic sank in with the death of a colleague. I got so angry at no one in particular. I got irritated with the people who don't wear masks. I got angry with the politicians for not following protocols, for downplaying the situation. I am angry that the planned trips this year had to be cancelled. 

Bargaining: I was pleading God to help me survive this pandemic telling Him of the people who are depending on me. 

Depression: I started feeling this when several of my patients died because of probable covid, because of the typical symptoms, but the results were negative. And then I became more depressed  when the number of cases in Cebu continued to rise and I heard more news of friends or relatives of friends who succumbed to the disease. I would wake up at around 3 am with palpitations and sweating profusely. Every now and then I still panic attacks manifesting as difficulty in breathing and palpitations even though I was not thinking about the pandemic. 

Acceptance: I don't think I have reached this stage yet. I am still mid-way between depression and acceptance.  In a way I have accepted the situation and that I cannot be forever live in fear that I might get the disease.  

I tried to be optimistic about the entire situation. I have been very good in hiding it from my family and from my patient since they relied on me for support. 

In reply to Maria Suga Dioko

Re: Feeling Pandemonium

by Maria Emma Alesna-Llanto -
Dear Suga,
You may be good at "hiding it" but you sure are articulate when expressing your feelings... which is actually the first step in dealing with such strong emotions. Naming your emotions and being "granular" about it. Perhaps, the next step is to talk to a trusted friend...just to get it off your chest, just to feel listened to. We aren't superheroes ...we should not deprive ourselves of kindness and compassion which we are so generous with our family and patients. We cannot pour from an empty cup...that's why we do self-care.

Just a thought: Kubler-Ross' stages of grief aren't linear...as you may have noticed...you can feel the stages during the same day or regress back to anger. What I recently read was that there is a 6th stage...and that is finding meaning in what has happened. We eventually will need to.

emma