Activity #14: The role of feedback in learning

The role of feedback in learning

The role of feedback in learning

by Jose Francisco -
Number of replies: 1

The positive feedback or those validating your 'strengths' as a trainee were the most helpful. Given the heavy workload and the chaos that is a daily reality in the clinical learning environment, positive feedback was a gentle reminder that you are still in 'track' in your training and development. I would say the least helpful ones would be the non-specific ones and the occasional 'hirit'. I guess it is easy to be taken out of context in a clinical environment like in PGH. Patience is often wearing thin.

I think the main issue is not whether it is good or bad feedback. In our context, I believe consultants or TOs need to reflect occasionally if they are generous with their feedbacks every time they are given the chance to do so. Are we actually trying to make it count (each time) for the trainee? 

144 words

In reply to Jose Francisco

Re: The role of feedback in learning

by Maria Elizabeth Grageda -
That's a good observation Kiko. Evaluators really need to maximize all opportunities to provide meaningful feedback to trainees, especially in a very busy setting like PGH. And yes, it would be best if we make each of these opportunities count by ensuring that our feedback is meaningful and useful to the trainee.

52 words