Video Presentations

VP6: Behaviorism

VP6: Behaviorism

by Wilfredo Ypil -
Number of replies: 8

Hi everyone,

Here's the link to my VP on Behaviorism: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11FEArb0Kko9wc4X-Ve54LywxpCH43oTO/view?usp=sharing

Please do inform me if you have difficulty in accessing the video.  Thanks

Dodong Ypil

In reply to Wilfredo Ypil

Re: VP6: Behaviorism

by KAYLEEN BAUTISTA -
Thanks Dong for that fun video!

We are all too familiar with the use of negative reinforcement when we were little- with the fear of punishment whenever we do something undesirable. And the power of positive reinforcement of gifts and "stars" stamped on the hand for a job well done.

I think this is still applicable in adult learners, like the implementation of the merit-demerit system.

by Marie Lynn Fama -
Thank you Dong for that very informative video. I found a connection with my topic social learning theory which is built on behaviorism. In my readings I came across the word "tabula rasa" but didn't have time to explore it. Now I know its a concept of behaviorism that contends the mind is blank at birth and behavior is learned from the environment. I also understood that Skinner is the one who proposed the "radical" behavioral approach and whom Bandura specifically argued with in his observational learning approach. I also understood the origin of the words "vicarious reinforcement" and "vicarious punishment" used by Bandura. He added the word "vicarious" to mean that people can also learn from reinforcements and punishments as described by Skinner by just watching other people and not personally experiencing it. Thank you, Dong. I learned a lot.

by Alfonso Carlo Ancheta -
Hello Dodong

Thank you for that very entertaining and informative video. Positive and Negative Reinforcement is a really strong learning technique in teaching, but we need to be careful in using this double edged sword.

by Bien Francis Yap -
Thank you Dodong for the very informative video! The last time I encountered the word "Tabula Rasa" was during my freshman year in college, as it was always used by our teacher in philosophy.

The experiment of Little Albert is new to me, as when I was doing my report on behaviorism last semester, I was not able to encounter it.

Behaviorism is really successful, as this is the basis of our occupational therapy management when handling our pediatric patients with behavioral problems. Reinforcements and punishments (negative) are effective, as it really modifies the behavior of the child into desirable outcomes.

by Felice Katrina Trio-Ranche -
Thank you Sir Dodong for this video! In many ways, our assigned topics are on opposite poles (mine is cognitivism), but your video made me reflect again on my position. I liked the part where you mentioned that operant conditioning is concerned more about class management and not learning content. Cognitivism is the opposite because it's all about learning processes and no behavioral output. Your video made me think that maybe that's a good thing, because the two philosophies can cover each other's deficiencies.

by Ma Amethyst Ypil -
Thanks dy for this informative video and for editing my video too. I still remember when I was in grade 1 that my father would buy all my school outputs marked with "O" for outstanding for a centavo each at the end of the school year! It indeed gives positive reinforcement to make good at school. This theory could still be applied to our current learners but probably in a different way applicable to their generations.

by Maria Elizabeth Grageda -
Very comprehensive. In the part where you discussed about its applications in education, you can show actual examples where behaviorism is used, whether in your own classroom or as used by others.