Video Presentations

VP7: Cognitivism

VP7: Cognitivism

by Felice Katrina Trio-Ranche -
Number of replies: 14

Here is the link to my presentation:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R0oXNISsV2M2jRQpjHpuXQsSLSAKEBE0/view?usp=sharing

Thank you!

In reply to Felice Katrina Trio-Ranche

Re: VP7: Cognitivism

by KAYLEEN BAUTISTA -
Thanks Kat for a very nice presentation!

Hmmm, I do feel like a cognitivist after watching your video. Cognitivism was able to explain how we learn- step by step. Because we know we are learning, but the how? It is fascinating that Piaget and other thinkers were able to describe the process of learning with such detail and with scientific explanation.
In reply to KAYLEEN BAUTISTA

I really admire scientists who try to make sense of the abstract, like Piaget and his colleagues. There's a lot of interesting research now about how the brain works, and it is exciting to imagine how much more will be discovered about cognitive processes in the future.

by Ma Amethyst Ypil -
Hi Felize,
Thank you for sharing your video. The theory was well explained cognitively! I believe we're all using the cognitive approach in teaching our medical students coz when we make exams we based them on Bloom's taxonomy that promotes high-order thinking.
In reply to Ma Amethyst Ypil

Thanks Maam Mitzi! Yes I agree, one of the very strong influences on how we design and teach courses is Bloom's breakdown of the cognitive domain.

by Alfonso Carlo Ancheta -
Hello Kat.

Your presentation was very clear and concise. The first part of your video was really good! Your examples and diagrams really helped in understanding Cognitivism better.
In reply to Alfonso Carlo Ancheta

Thank you! I think I also learn best with diagrams and outlines. When we were shifting to distance learning for the pandemic, one of the rules for video lectures was a 6-minute limit. if hindi kaya, for example if kailangan 10min talaga, divide it into 2 videos. I finally understood it when I read about extraneous cognitive load. Continuing challenge for me yung making lectures palatable for students.

by Wilfredo Ypil -

Hi Trina,

Thanks for a concise, but comprehensive video on Cognitivism.  This learning approach is one of our most widely used approaches, especially in Medical education.  Your structured and well-organized presentation with examples of the various methods is an application of cognitivism, by itself.

In reply to Wilfredo Ypil

Thanks, Sir Dodong! Sa words ng millennials, I tried to make it "meta" :) I agree, I think most of use this learning theory or at least part of it when we teach adult learners.

by Bien Francis Yap -
Thank you Kat for your video presentation! Indeed your lecture is a good example of what Cognitivism Learning is! :)

I still apply in my lectures the teaching-learning techniques that you presented, even though my lectures are mostly done through demonstrations. It helps my students remember the key points of my lecture, as well as organizes the knowledge that are presented to them.
In reply to Bien Francis Yap

Thank you! I think one of the challenges is looking beyond our own learning style. Like for me personally, I know that I am a visual learner, so I also gravitate towards using diagrams, tables, and images when I teach. Admittedly, sometimes I forget to include stratergies for students who learn by listening or repeating behavior. It's nice to get new perspectives in our discussion forums.

by Marie Lynn Fama -
Hello Felice! I appreciate very much your video presentation. It explains very well-in a step by step process - the internal mental processes of learning. Now, I understand what is going through the minds of my students every time a new concept is introduced to them (assimilation, accommodation and equilibration). I think I'm also giving my students cognitive overload because the subject I am teaching is intrinsically difficult. So, I have to consider the extraneous factor and modify the way I present my lecture so it will be easier for them to create a new knowledge in their scheme (germane). Thank you for the learning.