Video Presentations

VP9: Experiential Learning Theory

VP9: Experiential Learning Theory

by Bien Francis Yap -
Number of replies: 10
In reply to Bien Francis Yap

Re: VP9: Experiential Learning Theory

by KAYLEEN BAUTISTA -
Thank you for sharing your knowledge on experiential learning. I remember learning to do blood extraction just like you discussed- seeing the procedure first, then attempting the extraction. Then with repetition, the skill is learned and becomes automatic

The acquisition of skills is really through experience. One cant really learn any skill if he/she wont do the skill.

by Marie Lynn Fama -
Hello Bien! I learned a lot from your video. People always say, "we learn from our experiences" but I never thought that there is a theory that underpins experiential learning - the Kolb's Cycle of Experiential Learning. I thought that we learn just by seeing, doing and feeling things but now I understand that experiential learning follows a cycle and that adult learners may start from any point in the cycle. I am amazed by the learning style inventory. I tried to check what type of learning I am - I think I am more of a reflecting + thinking=analyzing learner and somehow it matches my reflective authoritative style as a teacher. Is there a connection between what type of learner is the teacher and her teaching style? Thank you Bien for that very enlightening video.
In reply to Marie Lynn Fama

by Bien Francis Yap -
Yes Marie, I believe that the teaching style of the instructor is similar to his/her learning style. Being proficient in a topic is what qualifies you to teach the subject. Same with the teaching style, you may experience difficulty in teaching by analyzing when you are more proficient with acting or experiencing. It is easier to teach what we practice (just like "practice what you preach) :)

by Alfonso Carlo Ancheta -
Hello thank you for this concise and informative video. I absolutely believe that Experiential learning is very important because if the students cannot apply what they have learned, then the information that they have just received will only remain as ideas. Then if they are still not given the opportunity to use this information, 100% guarantee they will forget this information.

by Felice Katrina Trio-Ranche -
Thank you for this video. I liked the concrete examples you gave. I think many of us use the experiential learning approach to teach clinical or surgical skills like tying a square knot or inserting an IV line. But we often forget the reflecting part after, which I think is the most essential step for real learning to happen. I liked that your put equal stress on that part of the cycle.

by Wilfredo Ypil -
Thanks for this concise and informative video, Bien. This experiential type of learning is really manifest in the clinics as our students get to develop their psychomotor skills. The lack of face-to-face actual/experiential learning with patients during much of this pandemic period, was really a detriment to the skills development of our clerks and interns.

by Fleda Rose Castro -
Hello Bien,

Thank you for such an organized lecture on the ELT. This is a learning theory that I have personally been studying and your insights were very much helpful in putting altogether the essence of experiential learning. Its interesting to realize how many kinds of learners can be produced by experience, and that even if it an activity is the same, every individual that goes through it can have a different level of experience and processing that eventually leads to how he has understood and learned the situation for his own use.

I also picked up much appreciation on the kind of teachers and their teachinf styles that contribute to the learning experience. I have the same query as Marie on whether one's teaching style is developed from his/her own type of learning? And if for example you do well as a facilitator but not as a subject matter expert, does this connote that in the cyle of experiential learning you are naturally just more adept to one part or because there is just less attention paid to the other parts of the cycle?

Thank you for again for sharing, I really enjoyed how you simplified this theory and made concrete examples for the concept to be easily understood.
Kudos!

by Alfredo Lopez -
Very impressive in-depth discussion of the basic concepts surrounding experiential learning. Your video presentation is very clear and thorough for the given short period of time. It is one thing that you were able to describe the characteristics of the learner in the ELT but you have provided us the different roles that the teacher will assume in order to create the environment for an experiential learner. Similar to several other theories and philosophies in learning, ELT gives active passive role to the teacher whereas the learner remains the primary active player in the learning process. Thank you for the thorough discussion Bien.

by Ma Amethyst Ypil -
Hi Bien, thank you for the enlightening presentation. I agree that experience is our best teacher. Through our experiences, we learn better and the knowledge and skill we learned stay longer to our conscious and subconscious minds and they became part of our routines already.