Activity #7: Am I a Mentor?

Activity 7 Discussion

Activity 7 Discussion

by Felice Katrina Trio-Ranche -
Number of replies: 2

Am I a mentor? I think I am, but I have a lot of room for improvement. Certainly the motivation to help my learners achieve their professional (and sometimes personal) goals is there, and I feel that I am willing to give much of myself in order to guide them. However, I often feel that the generation gap is difficult to bridge. To improve, I try to ensure that my interactions with learners are not strained by unnecessary pressure or intimidation or hierarchy. I try to always address them as colleagues and make them feel like they may address me the same way. I try to share my reflections about our chosen career so that we can grow together.

119 words

In reply to Felice Katrina Trio-Ranche

Re: Activity 7 Discussion

by Derek Resurreccion -
Mentoring is an art that is rarely mastered. The effectiveness of a mentor mentee relationship will rely on both mentor and mentee characteristics. There will always be new lessons learned as you go from one relationship to the next.

39 words

In reply to Felice Katrina Trio-Ranche

Re: Activity 7 Discussion

by Kenneth Charles Mutia -
I agree with these insights and will also apply them on myself in improving my skills as a mentor. I also believe that to be empathic is a very big part of being a mentor, which is difficult due to age and generation gaps, but I believe that with willingness to improve one-self, we can be better mentors to our trainees

61 words