Activity 3: Attributes of a Good Clinical Teacher

Am I a good clinical teacher?

Am I a good clinical teacher?

by Chyssa Agnelli Pauig -
Number of replies: 2

I think my passion for teaching started during my residency days. Especially when I became the chief resident, I felt obligated and responsible for the learnings of my junior co-residents. Moreover,  I make it a point that every time we have interesting cases, I studied them well and share the learnings to my juniors. If a consultant taught me a certain technique in operating, I make sure to master it and teach it to my juniors. I actually believe in what Benjamin Franklin said " Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn".  The same principles that I apply till now. Do these things make me a good clinical teacher? I believe the attributes of a good clinical teacher are as follows:

1. Skilled communicators who are knowledgeable, committed.They posses good teaching skills. They take time to develop relationship with students and encourage student's participation. They provide honest, constructive feedback relevant to student's curricular stage. I know I have these skills however I still have a lot to master and learn the art of teaching, especially the giving of feedback. 

2. Empathic and approachable. These are important skills that a good teacher must have. When I was a medical student and resident, I experienced and learned that an empathic and approachable teacher promotes proactive participation of the students and also develop an interpersonal relationship. 

3. Challenges students in ways to build competence and confidence. This, I think is an important attribute of a good clinical teacher that I, myself must continuously hone. With this attribute, the teacher stretches the student, using repertoire of teaching and learning approaches but does not take the students too far outside their zonal development. To be effective teacher, one should take into account individual differences among students and communicative nature of the learning process through which students learn and develop. 

4. Should be genuine. I always practice this. A teacher should exhibit the same characteristics in their clinical work and be genuine in interacting with their patients, students, and colleagues. We don't want to dis-illusion our students. 

350 words

In reply to Chyssa Agnelli Pauig

Re: Am I a good clinical teacher?

by Marie Shennette Pepito -
Hello Doc Chyssa! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I agree with you. Looking back on my internship days, I encountered a few clinical supervisors (CS) who had the attributes you listed down. As a learner, those attributes in my CSes made learning fun and meaningful. I felt that I was equally challenged and supported, therefore I was more proactive in seeking learning opportunities and more resilient in times of stress & overwhelm.

Thus, now that I am a CS myself I made a promise to be "the clinical supervisor I wish I had" so that my interns can also have fun while learning and be equally challenged and supported :)

111 words

In reply to Chyssa Agnelli Pauig

Re: Am I a good clinical teacher?

by Jeannabelle Tamaca -
Hi Doc Chyssa,

I definitely agree with all these attributes. Though complex and take years to develop, these are truly noteworthy. I, as a newcomer in clinical teaching field, would only hope that one day I would also develop and possess these kinds of attributes. So far, my beginner days have not been a smooth journey. Personally, I am an emphatic person and my colleagues consider me approachable but I may not be that skilled enough when it comes to communication as a I consider being genuine as the ability to show emotions whenever I feel it and sometimes it makes me feel like I am not in control of my reactions.

112 words