Activity 3: Forum

Challenges as a non-education senior high school teacher and a new administrator

Challenges as a non-education senior high school teacher and a new administrator

by Gabriel Ian Guiao -
Number of replies: 0

Teaching is a profession I have always revered and have always been planning to pursue a career in, despite being a medical doctor (well, soon). But fate leads us to different paths and I am now here, a General Physics teacher for health-allied senior high school students. And more recently, as an administrator for a program that is quite challenging (mainly because it is really new).

As a teacher in their 3rd year of teaching, implementing and managing a curriculum, especially for basic education is quite average, to say easier. Perhaps due to the fact that everything is standardized but with avenues for innovation especially in teaching strategies. Getting the hang of it, although online school really is a challenge. The challenge I can think of in implementing and managing a curriculum for this setup is consistency and applicability of strategies across all learners. This, I believe can be addressed through consideration of different learner types in instruction.

But with the new role, and implementing and managing a new curriculum, it would definitely be different. For one, there is no existing curriculum for that type here in the country. Robotics in a health sciences is very much integrated. But a formal curriculum is non-existent yet. And so, I can see this as a challenge in, in fact, the entire curricular development process. Further education and training, as well as collaboration with other experts shall make this endeavor successful.