Video Presentations

VP1: Perennialism

VP1: Perennialism

by KAYLEEN BAUTISTA -
Number of replies: 9

Hello!

Here's the link to my video presentation... let me know if you encounter any problems in viewing the video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F1JYTCu0s-tIvNN41p5s2GQZ5UpzuE4e/view?usp=sharing

Thank you and hope you enjoy the video

-kayleen

In reply to KAYLEEN BAUTISTA

Re: VP1: Perennialism

by Ma Amethyst Ypil -
Hi Kayleen,
Thanks for sharing your video. The presentation was concise. I like it when you start defining the word perrenial . This reminded me of my elementary and high school days, all the lessons were basically the same with the same teacher sometimes the exams given were more or less the same also. I knew this coz I have 2 older sisters ahead of me and sometimes I don't take down notes anymore, I just used their old notebooks when I study. I hope this has changed already?

by Alfonso Carlo Ancheta -
HI Kayleen

Your video was very concise and informative. I like Perennialism's goal of teaching the basics, but it's limitation of being teacher centered and strict adherence to the curriculum can also limit some student's ability to learn.

by Felice Katrina Trio-Ranche -
Thank you for your video, Kayleen! I liked how you showed us where perennialism stands in the spectrum (most teacher-centered), and I also liked how you contrasted what changes and what does not using a perennialist approach. When I was younger, I wanted to study at St John's College because I was attracted to their liberal curriculum based on the Great Books. very perennialist. But over the years I've realized that it is actually a very limited and very western perspective. And the main problem of their alumni is not finding their place in society after graduation. because of course everything changes, and I think personally education should foresee and outpace the change, rather than lag behind embracing the same things.

by Fleda Rose Castro -
Hi Kayleen,

Thank you for making this video, it was very much concise and at the same time easy to listen to(the music also was such a fit).
I actually appreciated how connected this first philosophy was into mine which was essentialism. Its important to note that this philosophy is one of thr very foundations of formal education, and we would not be engaged in creating our lesson plans and instructionals without the knowledge of the basics.

I think even with the evolving practices in education, curriculums will always have reference to the wisdom of the old to understand better what is being taught today.

Thank you for the learning

by Gabriel Ian Guiao -
Hello Kayleen!

While I identify as a progressivist in terms of own educational philosophy, I must say that perennialism is still considered relevant as there are still the basics that we need to anchor on and live by. May we be reminded that sometimes (if not most of the time), we need to go back to basics in order to learn further and progress as mankind.

by Bien Francis Yap -
Thank you Kayleen for a very short and informative video presentation. Basics are indeed very essential, but change is also inevitable. Perennialism is still important in subjects and topics that are not prone to change, like mathematical equations, language, and in our case, human anatomy. I still believe that without the basics, there will be no solid foundation for new learning experiences.

by Marie Lynn Fama -
Hello Kayleen! I like your video. It makes me smile. It reminds me of my history teacher in high school- the teacher is the same, she teaches the same year after year, and only the students change:) This philosophy may no longer be appreciated now a days. It may no longer be suitable to the type of learners that we have. But I think it can still be adopted and used in some ways such as in teaching moral values and discipline. However, it should not be made as basis for the whole curriculum. Thank you for sharing.

by Wilfredo Ypil -
Hi Kayleen,

Thanks for this concise and informative video on the basics of perennialism. I like the part when emphasized on the perennialists' concepts of "the more things change, the more they stay the same", and "learning the classics will lead to a successful life". Although I'm more of the progressive to reconstructionalist type, such assumptions, somehow, made me reflect on the important role of such educational philosophy, especially in the basic levels of education.

by Alfredo Lopez -

Thanks for the video discussion of perennialism. It is very concise and light to the understanding. I have to admit that this philosophy of education has fascinated and enticed my learning process for a long period of time, up to the present. Who doesn't love the classic? But in order for us learners to grow, even teacher need to grow, we have to learn updates in a less rigid approach, which we must realize, is more lasting. Besides, appreciation of the classical, everlasting knowledge can only achieved by experiential education. The perennials probably just missed out on that fact, or I am not entirely grasping the perennialist philosophy. What do you think?