Charlene LocayLocay-Ramos

Fleda Rose Castro

Teresita Martinez

In reply to Fleda Rose Castro

Re: The Theory of X and Y

by Chlenice dela Cruz -

Dear Charlene, Fleda and Tere,

Thanks for the presentation! :)

As you have mentioned, managers and employees may benefit with the use of both theories in the workplace in a balanced manner. For instance, in industries like factories where work is repetitive, it is beneficial to use a Theory X management style because workers may become unmotivated because of the nature of the job. Theory X is also desirable in this part because this industry requires process and product standards that must be met so managers have to directly oversee the employee to make sure he does the job at a rate and quality that is expected.  However, there should also be a balance of considering employees not as machine parts but actual humans with needs and desires, which may be addressed by the Theory Y management. Employees may be asked for feedback on the job conditions and factors related to improve their productivity.  This way, they are not just treated as a means for the company's ends but also feel that they are important contributors to the success of the company.

Theory Y may better serve those companies that do not require strict standards, desire creativity among their employees. This can also be applied in organizations made up of experts and experienced members who have gained maturity and sense of responsibility to perform such as senior residents or consultants in a hospital. They would benefit in the more liberating and empowering style of management where their ideas are valued and in fact needed. Because of the nature of this type of management, employees may be motivated to contribute.  However, deadlines should still be considered. Employees must still adhere to company policies so Theory X still applies to this type of organization.  

All in all, use of this theory should be made with balance of human need and company needs in mind. Knowing the type of organization and the type of employee will help the manager determine which type to use and apply it.

Thank you again for your insights!

Chlenice

by Antonio Carlo De Guzman -
Thank you Charlene, Fleda, and Tere for producing a great video! I think that there are a lot of factors in choosing between theory x or y; or if we are to integrate both. Since an organization is inhomogenous, we are dealing with different individuals in different levels, with different tasks as well. Some tasks need structure, some tasks need creativity. Ideally, leadership adapts to the current need for structure and creativity. Also, it has been reported that the motivation of the leader is as important as the motivation of the employees. Managerial X/Y behaviors also influenced individuals and the group. It seems that Theory Y would lead to a more ideal working environment. Although, it is quite surprising that it has been backed by only a few empirical research. The research by Arslan as one of the readings showed that only increase in turnover was signficant for Theory Y managers, and not necessarily increase in innovations or overall costs.

One commentary also states that Theory Y assumes that all employees are creative and would want to be creative; but we could always find an exception. It would also be culture based, and I would like to think further research in the Filipino culture can enlighten us. This can be especially observed now during the work from home setting, wherein a Theory Y is almost forced in all industries and might not be fitting in all organizations. I think that the organization’s leader should still have an adaptive and innovative approach; that is playing on the strengths of each employee to optimize the work environment.

by Apple Valparaiso -
Thanks Charlene, Fleda and Tere for a very nice video presentation!
I am quite fascinated by the contrasting views of theory X and Y. These theories recognized all possible factors that can affect production and in achieving the goals of the organization, including human beings and how workers or members of organizations are motivated. Although Theory X has a negative perception on workers and recognized workers as motivated only by financial rewards in order to do their jobs but I think managers/leaders must also objectively assess if there is a need for heightened supervision and penalties and when to impose duties to get the work done and supervise them on a continuous basis. But I think that direct supervision and emphasis on achieving targets may be somewhat suitable for manufacturing-related organization and extremely difficult to adopt in service oriented organizations.

Theory Y on the other hand, have so much confident on the people and believe that most would want to contribute, participate and strive to achieve the goals of the organization. It recognizes the value of participative style of management which assumes that people will exercise self-direction and self-control in the achievement of organizational objectives and goals. In this theory, the management’s main task is to maximize members commitment and involve them in the decision making process thereby making them more committed and invested in the organization.
The theory X and Y recognized that workers possess both negative and positive traits and the management style to use will depend on the situation in order to generate optimum results.

I really learned a lot from watching your presentation. Thanks so much.

by Felice Katrina Trio-Ranche -
Thank you for this video. I liked that you gave concrete examples to emphasize the contrast. Although personally I lean more towards Theory Y, I realize that this can only happen in a workplace utopia, and that it is not possible if the job description entails hard, repetitive, and low-fulfillment tasks. For our organizations, though, I think it is very possible to choose Theory Y because we are handling educators and adult learners. The challenge for administators is tapping into their motivations and sustaining their enthusiasm for work.

by Kristine Rose Fernandez -
Hi Charlene, Fleada and Tere!!! Thank you for this very nice presentation and for giving us very concrete examples of each theory.

I think that Theory Y is the one which we all want to achieve as an educator to foster a good environment for learning and for our students to stay motivated despite the high demands in the healthcare system. But I think Theory Y may not be applicable in other organizations as previously mentioned in the presentation. Also, other people may not really be as motivated as others when in comes to work but stick with it only for survival. Therefore, a proper balance with the use of Theory X and Y may be beneficiary to those employees and organizations.

by Cheryll Magbanua-Calalo -
Hi Charlene, Fleda and Tere. I appreciate your video on Theory X and Theory Y. I think balance is required in applying these theories in management. Although both styles of management can motivate people, the success of each will largely depend on the team's need and wants and the organizational objectives. In handling experts and self-motivating individuals (like co-investigators in research), Theory Y will work since they require minimal supervision and self-propelling. But for those who we are teaching like young students (kinder students), Theory X style of management may be used for they need guidance and proper motivation to learn. For mentoring trainees or medical students, a balance of both may be used.

by Abigail Jeanne Juantong -
Hi Charlene, Fleda and Tere!

Your presentation was lovely and it kept me on my toes towards the end. Theory X and Y is so fascinating and you guys explained it on a level of understanding that was simple and to the point.

Thank you so much for this! Surely everyone learned a something from your video.

Abigail

by KAYLEEN BAUTISTA -
Hello Charlene, Fleda, and Tere!

Thanks for a fun video describing a new concept for me. This is the first time I have encountered this Theory X and Theory Y.

I feel that a little of both theories is beneficial in making sure the workplace is functioning efficiently.

Like what you have described, there really will be times that workers wont feel like working, and here Theory X may be applied so that supervisor can monitor and may provide a gentle push into the right direction.

On the other hand, there will be be people who are well actualized and motivated in their work, and that when they are only provided with the supportive environment, that person will accomplish their tasks because they understand what their responsibilities are.

by Maria Menierva Lagria -
Dear Charlene, Fleda and Tere,
A presentation that indeed kept me assessing the different workplaces I had been too as a staff and manager. It made me understand why the gut wrenching and repressive workplace was so and why this current workplace is inspiring and motivating.

Keep up the good work.
Minnie