What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Regine Bertol -
Number of replies: 0

1) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

In a leader of an academic institution, I value empathy and adaptability. Empathy is crucial for a leader overseeing students, faculty, and staff, as the quality of education depends on diverse psychosocioeconomic factors. An empathetic leader would be able to understand the unique challenges and perspectives of the people that form the organization, fostering a relationship with them that is built on trust. Additionally, being adaptable is also important in leadership, especially in the face of unforeseen events, like the COVID-19 pandemic. Being adaptable means being open-minded to innovations and responding swiftly to meet the evolving needs of everyone involved. These traits not only enhance the leader’s effectiveness but also contribute to a resilient and thriving academic community.

2) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

For me, one important leadership skill for an academic institution is the skill of relationship building. This skill involves being able to foster positive connections among students, faculty, and staff. Effective relationship building creates a harmonious environment, promoting collaboration, trust, and open communication. This interconnectedness not only enhances teamwork but also facilitates the exchange of ideas and perspectives, ultimately contributing to a more enriching educational experience. A leader skilled in relationship building can establish a supportive and inclusive culture, positively influencing the institution’s overall success and well-being.

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

One key point that resonated deeply with me during the student consultation was the emphasis on addressing the heavy academic workload. It is personally significant to me as it has impacted both my learning experience as well as my overall well-being. When the academic workload is excessive, it not only hinders our ability to grasp concepts effectively but also takes a toll on our mental and emotional health. Striking a balance between rigorous academic standards and students’ well-being is crucial for fostering a conducive learning environment. I believe that creating a more manageable workload is not just about academic performance but is integral to nurturing a holistic and sustainable educational experience for students.