What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Guia Diao -
Number of replies: 0

What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

Adaptability and Flexibility: The education landscape is constantly evolving as technology advances and society changes. A very recent and relevant example is the sudden change from in-person to online learning due to the pandemic. A leader who is adaptable and flexible can navigate these changes effectively. It enables the institution to respond to emerging trends, adjust to new educational paradigms, and stay relevant in a dynamic environment.

Empathy and Emotional Intelligence: Academic leaders must understand the diverse needs and perspectives of faculty, students, and staff. Empathy fosters a positive and inclusive organizational culture, and emotional intelligence helps in managing relationships, resolving conflicts, and making decisions with consideration for the well-being of the entire academic community.

Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

Effective Communication: A leader needs to communicate clearly with faculty, students, staff, and external stakeholders. This involves not only delivering messages clearly but also actively listening to others. Transparent communication helps build trust, ensures everyone is on the same page, and fosters a positive and inclusive environment. It is essential for resolving conflicts, aligning the institution with its mission, and maintaining a healthy organizational culture.

From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.
Student Mental Health Initiatives: One key point from student consultations that struck me is the emphasis on mental health initiatives. Students are expressing concerns about the increasing pressure and stress associated with academic demands. The idea of implementing mental health support programs, counseling services, and stress management resources resonates as a crucial strategy. This issue is relevant because mental well-being is foundational to effective learning and personal development. Addressing these concerns can contribute to a healthier and more productive academic community, aligning with the holistic development of individuals within the institution.