Activity 2

GANUELAS, Jian Arthur F.

GANUELAS, Jian Arthur F.

by Jian Arthur Ganuelas -
Number of replies: 0

Adaptive immunity is the body’s ability to defend itself against specific invading agents. This type of immunity is provoked by antigens—substances that are recognized as foreign and trigger immune responses. One of the distinguishing properties of adaptive immunity is that it has a memory for most previously encountered antigens, leading to quicker and stronger reactions upon subsequent encounters.

This is what happens in one of the types of allergic reactions, specifically type 1, which is induced by antigens called allergens which include certain foods, plants, among others. In type 1 (anaphylactic) reaction, repeated exposure to allergens initiates a progression from antibody production during the first exposure to inflammatory responses in subsequent exposures. In more, frequent exposures, it can escalate to a life-threatening emergency. I can now apply this learning in my everyday life, especially I have relatives and friends who intentionally ignore their allergens, believing they can build immunity to their allergens through frequent exposure, or just because they could rely on medications when allergic reactions occur. Now, I can inform them that these notions are incorrect and potentially dangerous.