Activity 2

Capili, Djoharra Angelle - Activity 2

Capili, Djoharra Angelle - Activity 2

by Djoharra Angelle Capili -
Number of replies: 0

Choose one concept in our lesson today, give a brief explanation about the concept and cite how you would apply this learning in your everyday life. 

The concept that I thought to be one of the most important is stress and immunity. In our current situation, having different experiences and obstacles along the way, it is important to take care of ourselves and body as well as it takes care of us. According to Tortora and Derrickson, the field of psychoneuroimmunology or PNI has justified that the feeling, mood, and beliefs of a person has an effect on his or her health. Meaning, not only physical characteristics or physical risks such as diseases can alter the health of a person but also the mental or emotional factors. This is due to the fact that emotions are connected to the release of hormones in our body, specifically cortisol release when we are stressed. 

Other factors that can be affected by stress and alter our immune system is digestion. Our blood is concentrated in our muscles during stressful times, however in order for our meal to be properly digested after we eat, enough blood must reach our stomach. This is why digestion is poor when we are stressed, and as a result, it may not only make us sick to our stomachs but also reduce our body's ability to absorb nutrients. Another response from our body due to stress is a slower recovery from illness. For example, even wound healing can be slower due to stress. Prolonged stress can lead to chronic stress and could cause more complications. 

I believe this learning could be beneficial if applied to everyday life. It teaches us that even our littlest emotions can affect the functioning of our body. As I have said, it is important to take care of ourselves and prevent stress at all costs. However, if not preventable, it is better to have strategies that could help us recover quickly and easily. The best thing is to have a support system that could help you get through that stress. Next is to find a way to exercise because it allows you to strengthen not only your body but your mental capacity. Lastly, I personally use breathing exercises to reduce stress and I think it is one of the most effective and easiest ways you can do everywhere. 

References: 

Konturek, P. C., Brzozowski, T., & Konturek, S. J. (2011). Stress and the gut: pathophysiology, clinical consequences, diagnostic approach and treatment options. Journal of physiology and pharmacology : an official journal of the Polish Physiological Society, 62(6), 591–599. 

MediLexicon International. (n.d.). Chronic stress: Symptoms, examples, effects, and recovery. Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323324#signs-and-symptoms 

Resnick, A. (2022). How does stress impact the immune system?. Verywell Mind. https://www.verywellmind.com/how-does-stress-impact-the-immune-system-6544009#citation-1 

Tortora, G. J., & Derrickson, B. H. (2017). Tortora’s Principles of Anatomy & Physiology. Wiley.