Activity 2

SALCEDO, BIANCA MAE

SALCEDO, BIANCA MAE

by Bianca Mae Salcedo -
Number of replies: 0

Understanding Hypersensitivity in Everyday Life

Hypersensitivity is a concept I recently learned about in my lectures. This pertains to a heightened reactivity of the body towards foreign agents, commonly manifesting as allergic responses. These responses, categorized into various types, are instigated by allergens.

Type I reactions are the quick ones, happening minutes after exposure to an allergen. Then there's Type II, dealing with antibodies messing with blood cells, like in blood transfusion reactions. Type III causes diseases like arthritis through immune-complex reactions. Lastly, Type IV reactions are delayed and show up hours after exposure, like in skin tests for things like tuberculosis.

Even though I don't deal with allergies personally, picking up this new info lately has made me get what my friends go through. When conversing with my friends about their allergic experiences, I believe I am now better equipped to empathize with their challenges as I can now somewhat envision the difficulties associated with managing a body's heightened reactions to stimuli that often go unnoticed by the majority. This comprehension extends beyond a mere accumulation of facts as it underscores the significance of being a supportive friend. Now that I learned about it I can now consider it especially when organizing social activities, be what we are eating or an outing location.