Activity 2

PADUA, Jiliane Frances M. - Activity 2

PADUA, Jiliane Frances M. - Activity 2

by Jiliane Frances Padua -
Number of replies: 0

Now that I am well-informed of the two stages of innate immunity, I have a clear understanding that there is more than just the physical response to pathogens entering the body, but rather the interplay of the different systems of the body to protect it from foreign antigens (e.g. parasites, bacteria, viruses, and toxins in the body. The innate and adaptive immunity work together in fighting pathogens that penetrate the body through various ways. Innate immunity (non-specific) being the first barrier encountered, comprising the first and second line of defense that immediately acts upon pathogens within hours from its encounter and has no immunologic memory to memorize the same pathogen once encountered afterward. Adaptive immunity is now present when the innate community is unable to act upon an infectious pathogen. It recognizes specific antigens, categorizes them, and memorizes them for a better and quicker response the next time the same pathogen enters the body. 

As we grow older, our body continuously fights against persisting microbes and pathogens that enter our body, may it be just sitting and breathing to having conversations and skin-to-skin contact with close people, making us more susceptible to infections and immunity-related diseases and malignancies. With what I have learned, I can apply this by changing my perception, habits, and lifestyle especially regarding food and hygiene practices. I was raised with the idea of not prioritizing immunization yearly, but understanding how important it is to be consistent in getting vaccinated, I will ensure that I receive proper vaccinations yearly and as needed. I am dedicated now to consistently practicing good food and hygiene practices to further enhance my immunity and develop this further through avoiding distress with the help of coping mechanisms to reduce possibilities of deteriorating my immune system.