What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Luis Jethro Talam -
Number of replies: 0

1) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

1st leadership trait that I would like a leader of an academic institution to have, is their willingness to listen to the people under their leadership. I believe that the trait of listening is a cornerstone of an effective leadership. Active listeners build an environment that is welcoming and inclusive at work, encourage honest communication, and make wise decisions that advance the success and welfare of their team. The 2ndleadership trait that I would like a leader to have is their vision that can drive the institution to a more progressive and thriving future. Having a good vision is like a North Star for an organization. It gives directions, motivates activity, and molds the organization's identity and culture. 

2) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial.  

Once again, I highly believe that listening to subordinates is a critical leadership skill that holds particular significance in the context of an academic institution. Collaboration and relationships within an institution are strengthened when subordinates' ideas, issues, and opinions are actively engaged with. Higher employee engagement levels are a result of people feeling heard and respected, which increases dedication to the organization's objectives. Additionally, by utilizing the insightful opinions and helpful insights of people who are directly involved in academic procedures, this talent enables leaders to spot areas that could use development. By listening to stakeholders, leaders may make better decisions that take into account their varied points of view and foster an inclusive culture. This method improves employees' general well-being, fosters professional growth, and quickly resolves issues.

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

During the consultation, one idea that really struck to me was about extending the library hours. In order to improve accessibility and satisfy the various demands of students, researchers, and the community, library hours must be extended. The longer hours support diversity and inclusion, foster community involvement, and meet the needs of lifelong learners and non-traditional students. Furthermore, it prepares for exam periods, encourages a study-conducive environment, and adapts to changing work patterns and technological resource utilization. To put it simply, longer library hours help to provide a friendly approachable, and encouraging learning environment that fits well with changing work and learning schedules.