What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Arianne Marie Estrella -
Number of replies: 0

1) Two leadership traits that I would like to see in an academic leader are proactivity and active listening. As a leader, one is expected to be on top of things, taking initiative, anticipating potential problems, and planning ahead. Proactivity helps ensure that an academic institution will be well-prepared for the challenges it may face (ex. COVID-19 pandemic leading to a shift in online classes). On the other hand, active listening is an effective communication skill and demonstrates one's genuine willingness to understand others' concerns and perspectives. It allows for concerns and issues to be heard and hopefully addressed, creating a more collaborative academic community.

2) Having good self-awareness is an important skill for a leader to possess. Leading an academic institution imposes heavy responsibilities on one's shoulders, and like any human being, they may occasionally succumb to the weight. I believe it involves not only recognizing one's strengths and weaknesses but also acknowledging how they influence aspects of their life such as mood and interactions with others. It will also help in leveraging their abilities, effective delegation, identifying opportunities for improvement, and demonstrating a continuous learning mindset that the academic community can learn from.

3) I think the consultation with the students is a strategy in itself. It not only enabled our concerns and issues to be heard but also fostered a sense of being valued and recognized. One issue that really struck with me was the overwhelming academic workload raised by student leaders. Despite my efforts to implement various time management, scheduling, and study strategies, this workload tends to consume the majority of my time, leaving me with less time for family and personal hobbies. I consistently find myself in a cycle of physical and mental exhaustion leading to burnout. However, knowing that our concerns have been acknowledged gives me hope that this issue can be addressed, ultimately leading to a healthier work/education-life balance within the institution.