Activity 2

MISOLA, Jasmine Chloe R. - Activity 2 Lymphatic System

MISOLA, Jasmine Chloe R. - Activity 2 Lymphatic System

by Jasmine Chloe Misola -
Number of replies: 0

Learning about how we are born with immunity that protects us in day-to-day life is remarkable. With regard to the interesting topic of innate immunity, one concept that I can apply in my everyday life is under the first line of defense, the skin. As the primary protective layer, the skin serves as a formidable physical barrier against pathogens. Since the skin is exposed to the external environment that is full of harmful agents which can cause various diseases, the innate immune system constantly works to constantly maintain homeostasis. One way the skin provides immunity is through its regular shedding of epidermal cells so the microbes attached to the surface would be removed. However, when the skin surface is affected like in the cases of cuts, abrasions, or burns, this would give the opportunity for the pathogens to penetrate the body.

Considering these things, I would apply this concept by constantly taking care of my skin. Some ways that I can do it are through maintaining good hygiene, nourishing my skin, and being on guard and careful if I obtain wounds. Maintaining good skin hygiene is necessary because of the air pollution I encounter daily as I live in an urban environment. Moreover, I am more susceptible to various microbes since I commute to and from school and the university is near a hospital. In addition, I can nourish my skin by making sure that I drink enough water, taking vitamin supplements, and applying skin care products. Lastly, if ever I have a wound or a cut, I will make sure to have the affected area cleaned and cover it with clean bandages. As I do so,  I can enhance, even through small means, my first line of defense.