Activity 2

ANSWERS

ANSWERS

by Jan Winston Karlo Lejano -
Number of replies: 0

Immunity is the body's natural defense against disease. It is a complex system that works to protect us from infection by recognizing and eliminating harmful pathogens, such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

There are 2 main types of immunity: innate and adaptive (specific) immunity. Innate immunity is the 1st line of defense against infection. It is present from birth and is nonspecific, meaning that it can protect against a wide range of pathogens. Furthermore, it includes physical barriers, such as the skin and mucous membranes, as well as immune cells and proteins that can attack and destroy pathogens. Adaptive (specific) immunity is the 2nd line of defense against infection. It is acquired through exposure to pathogens or through vaccination. Adaptive immunity is specific, meaning that it is tailored to the specific pathogen that it has encountered. Moreover, it includes B cells, which produce antibodies, and T cells, which destroy infected cells.

Applications of my Learnings in Everyday Life

• Vaccination: I ensure I am up-to-date with vaccinations to enhance my adaptive immunity.
  • Healthy Lifestyle: Proper nutrition, exercise, and stress management support overall immune function.
  • Hygiene Practices: Regular handwashing and avoiding exposure to sick individuals and hazards help prevent infections and risks.
  • Sleep: Prioritizing quality sleep strengthens immunity.
  • Social Connections: Emotional well-being positively impacts immune health.
  • Mindfulness: Managing stress reduces its impact on immunity.