What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Ashley Jayette Mendoza -
Number of replies: 0
1) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

For me, two indispensable qualities in a leader of an academic institution are (1) empathy and (2) the capacity for effective execution. Empathy is the cornerstone of understanding and connecting with the diverse needs of students, faculty, and staff, a particularly vital attribute in a large and culturally diverse institution like UPM. It facilitates the creation of an inclusive and supportive environment for all stakeholders, ensuring that their concerns and well-being are prioritized. Complementing empathy, a leader must possess the ability to translate their strategic plans into tangible actions that support the institution and address community concerns. It's not enough to be attuned to the needs of the community; the leader must also have the proficiency to convert decisions into practical and impactful solutions, ultimately driving positive change and progress.

2) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 
In my view, a crucial leadership skill for an academic institution is strategic planning. This skill entails establishing long-term objectives, devising efficient implementation strategies, and setting transparent evaluation standards to assess programs or projects and inform future improvements. Strategic planning empowers the institution to respond to evolving educational contexts, allocate resources judiciously, meet the diverse needs of stakeholders, and uphold a high standard of education. Furthermore, it equips leaders with the foresight to anticipate challenges and proactively address them, enhancing the institution's overall resilience and success.

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.
From the Zoom meeting for the consultation with students, one key issue that was raised by most of the year-level representatives and personally struck me was the heavy workload that was given to the students, particularly given the limited time available to complete it. This issue holds significant relevance for me as it underscores the common struggle students face in juggling academic responsibilities within the constraints of time, potentially impacting our well-being, stress levels, and overall academic performance. As a fellow student, I empathize with the importance of addressing this challenge to establish a more manageable and supportive learning environment that promotes academic success while preserving a healthy work-life balance. This issue underscores the necessity for effective time management, transparent communication between students and educators, and a holistic approach to the well-being of the entire academic community.