What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Ryven Andrei Magallanes -
Number of replies: 0

1. For me, two crucial traits for a leader of an academic institution are vision and integrity. First, having a vision is important as it allows a leader to provide a clear direction and long-term goals for the institution, inspiring faculty, staff, and students. It helps in setting a strategic roadmap and fostering innovation, which is especially important in the ever-evolving field of education. Having integrity on the other hand is as important as it it builds trust and credibility. Leaders with integrity make ethical decisions, maintain transparency, and ensure the institution's reputation remains untarnished, which is crucial for academic success and community trust.

2. Effective communication in number one skill that a leader must have. It is beneficial because it enables leaders to articulate their vision, expectations, and objectives clearly. When leaders communicate effectively, it promotes collaboration, alignment, and a shared sense of purpose among faculty, staff, and students, which is essential for the institution's overall success. Clear communication also enhances transparency, which is vital for maintaining trust and managing crises effectively in an academic environment, where open and honest dialogue is key to addressing challenges and resolving conflicts.

3. From the consultation, what felt close to me the most was the academic workload that is required from us students. This was coming from the lower years, and as a senior, I can say that I understand them because it really drains from us students. But at the same time, I also think that this also comes with its benefits as they shape us into better time managers at the same time without decreasing the quality of work we deliver. There's this saying that goes something like you have to break something in order to build it back much better, and I think this is what's happening. As a fourth year student, I am able to reflect how much I've grown with the kind of environment we were put into, and I think we can use it effectively once we finally become professional nurses.