What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Lindsey Ann Guintu -
Number of replies: 0
  1. Two key qualities I highly appreciate in a leader of an academic institution are unwavering dedication and effective communication abilities. Commitment is paramount because it sets the tone for the institution's dedication to its mission and goals. A committed leader demonstrates a steadfast pursuit of academic excellence, inspiring both faculty and students to strive for the highest standards of learning and research. Effective communication skills, on the other hand, are essential to foster a collaborative and inclusive environment. Through clear and empathetic communication, a leader can facilitate constructive dialogue among diverse stakeholders, ensuring that everyone's perspectives are heard and valued. This trait not only promotes transparency but also strengthens the institution's ability to adapt to evolving challenges and opportunities in the ever-changing landscape of academia. Together, commitment and communication skills empower a leader to not only chart a visionary course for the institution but also engage and unite the academic community in achieving shared objectives, ultimately enhancing the institution's reputation and impact in the educational landscape.

2. In line with my answer to the previous question, the leadership trait that I believe can greatly help an academic institution is active listening. This ability entails not just listening to what faculty, students, and other stakeholders within the academic community have to say, but also comprehending them, empathizing with them, and carefully responding to them. A collaborative and inclusive environment where everyone feels respected and heard is fostered by active listening. This is crucial in academia, where the pursuit of knowledge and skills depends on a diversity of viewpoints and beliefs. Leaders can be aware of the changing needs and goals of the academic community by practicing active listening. A leader who uses this skill may spot areas for development, respond to issues quickly, and foster an environment of openness and trust as effective teamwork and community development within an academic institution depend on the ability of the leader to establish trusting bonds and rapport. Additionally, it shows a dedication to shared governance and a sincere concern for the institution's well-being.

3. During the consultation with UP Manila nursing students, a striking issue that resonated with me was the heavy workload that the students endure. I am currently on my senior year and throughout the three years, I have seen how both my physical and mental health have deteriorated and how these consequently affected my relationships with family and friends.  While I've managed to persevere thanks to my support system, I've often normalized and downplayed this issue until it was brought up during the consultation. It is crucial to address this issue because it has a direct impact on students' wellbeing and academic success. The heavy workload not only degrades students' quality of life and mental and physical health, but it also raises the risk of burnout and lower general productivity. Additionally, it may discourage students from choosing nursing as a profession, which would make the current nursing shortage worse. Therefore, it is essential to take action to reduce the excessive workload in order to protect the health, happiness, and future of nursing students, which will ultimately help the healthcare system and society at large.