What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Kayla Angelica Gonzales -
Number of replies: 0
1) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

Two leadership traits that I believe are important to find in a leader of an academic institution are integrity and communication. Integrity is essential in the institution in order for the leader to maintain trust and credibility among the people part of the institution as it provides transparency on the actions being done by the leader. Furthermore, when integrity and trust are established, the people are more likely to follow and cooperate. Second, communication is important as leaders must be able to establish a good relationship with the people and explain their goals for the institution. With communication, the academic leader will also listen to the calls of the members of the institution including their needs and concerns and will take action to address these needs. 

2) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

One leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution is good decision-making. A leader must be capable of making well-informed decisions while taking into account the different needs of the members of the institution. This should be done through careful identification of problems, strategic planning, and collaboration with different stakeholders to view which decision would be best suitable for the institution. Academic leaders must also engage in good evaluations after decision making to assess the impact, success, or challenges of the implemented decision. The leader must be competent in this aspect as it would greatly impact the academic community both positively or negatively.

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

From the consultation with students, one key point that I agree with is the extension of library hours beyond 5:00 PM and the wifi in the student lounge. I believe that these two are important in maintaining student spaces inside the college as there are times wherein we would need an area to work on our groupworks and papers but would have difficulty in finding a space to work in due to the many students occupying the same area. Increasing the student spaces inside the institution would be beneficial in maximizing the productivity of the students as it is able to provide an environment for learning and socialization. Furthermore, these student spaces may also serve as as space for wellness where students may find time to relax despite the heavy workload.