What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Andrea Khaye Gutierrez -
Number of replies: 0

What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?
Collaboration is a leadership trait I would like a leader of an academic institution to have. A leader who fosters a culture of collaboration can bridge gaps between departments, encourage knowledge-sharing, and facilitate cross-disciplinary initiatives. This not only enhances the institution's academic reputation but also promotes innovation and holistic problem-solving.

I also believe that empathy is another important trait because leaders should be able to tune in to the needs and concerns of their team members, which helps in better understanding their perspectives. When leaders demonstrate empathy, they show that they care about the well-being and feelings of their team members. This builds trust and rapport, as team members are more likely to open up, share their concerns, and be honest when they feel their leader genuinely understands and cares about them.

Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial.
I personally believe that having planning and management skills is important for a leader of an academic institution. This skill is significantly crucial as it can help them adapt to changes in the research and educational landscapes, align resources toward common goals, and chart a course for the good future of the institution. Effective and efficient planning and management can also guide the institution in achieving academic excellence and making a meaningful impact to the society. It can also help them to remain competitive, responsive to emerging trends, and stay focused on its mission.

From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.
From the consultation with the students, I truly resonated with the key point of creating a supportive campus environment for the students. College life can be emotionally challenging, especially for students who are away from their families and friends for the first time. A supportive campus environment can help students navigate the emotional ups and downs of academic life. It provides a safety net for them to seek help when dealing with stress, homesickness, or mental health issues. A healthy, safe, and supportive environment can also help students excel in their studies, allows students to explore their interests, develop new skills, and build their self-confidence. I truly hope that this can be focused on for the sake of the whole student and faculty community.