What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Rianne Danielle Javinal -
Number of replies: 0

1.) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

One of the leadership traits that I would like to see in a leader of an academic institution is integrity. A good leader is someone who has a set of moral principles that is not easily influenced by desire for power. This enables them to become a good role model for their followers and act according to what is right and good for the collective. In addition, I would like for a leader of an academic institution to be someone who understands or empathizes with the plight of their constituents. As one of the major decision-makers and influencers, a leader of an academic institution must take the lead in creating an inclusive and supportive environment. Empathizing with the constituents is important in order to truly know the issues and problems within that need to be addressed. The leader must set a positive goal/vision and act for the good of the members.

2.) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial.

Having good interpersonal skills is beneficial for a leader of an academic institution because a good leader must foster trust, open communication, and a positive environment within the community. In an academic institution, the leader should be able to facilitate communication and involvement of the faculty, staff, students, and external stakeholders. This will result in increased collaboration and stronger relationships between the members of the institution, which will lead to better outcomes. The leader also serves as the representative of the academic institution. Therefore, they must be able to effectively communicate the needs of the institution to the other leaders of the university, regulatory bodies, and even healthcare organizations. This will also help in maintaining partnerships and advocating for the needs of the college, especially given the limited resources, and the nursing profession in general.

3.) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

The issue of heavy academic workload that was tackled during the consultation with students felt close to me. Given that in our course, we are handling lives and caring for our patients, it is understandable that we should maintain high standards and attain the necessary competence expected from us. However, there are times where the time spent for self and caring for our health is being compromised just to give satisfactory outputs within the limited time. This has led to feelings of stress and burnout. It would be good to find a balance between upholding academic excellence and promoting the holistic well-being of the institution's constituents. An environment that fosters positive mental health for its constituents would result in positive outcomes.