What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Maria May Cortez -
Number of replies: 0

1. What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

Firstly, I highly value a leader who prioritizes the ability to listen, serve, help, and teach before adopting the mantle of leadership. This trait is especially relevant because it signifies a leader's genuine commitment to addressing the specific needs and concerns of nursing students who are navigating a rigorous and demanding curriculum. By placing service and guidance at the forefront, this leader can provide much-needed support, both academically and emotionally, helping nursing students cope with the stress and workload.

Secondly, the capacity to discern the bigger picture, considering the interconnectedness of various academic elements, is essential. A leader who can navigate beyond immediate concerns and identify how different aspects of the program intersect and impact each other can make more informed decisions that alleviate the unique pressures faced by nursing students. This trait helps ensure that the academic environment is not only manageable but also conducive to success, minimizing stress and burnout. In this way, these leadership qualities are tailored to directly address the specific challenges and needs of nursing students, ultimately facilitating their educational journey.

2. Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

For me, self-awareness serves as the bedrock of leadership in an academic institution. It is the foundational skill upon which all other leadership attributes are built. A self-aware leader understands their strengths, weaknesses, values, and emotional intelligence. This deep self-understanding is crucial as it informs empathetic decision-making, promoting equity and fairness in academic policies. Self-awareness also fosters inspiration; leaders who embrace their strengths and vulnerabilities serve as powerful role models, motivating faculty and students towards continuous growth.

3. From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

The pressure to succeed academically can be immense, and a low graduation rate may intensify the stress and anxiety experienced by students. They might fear they won't graduate, which can lead to a constant state of worry and apprehension. 

Moreover, a persistently low number of graduates each year may suggest that the academic system within the college is overly rigorous or that students are not receiving the necessary support to succeed. This highlights a need for curriculum and support system evaluation.