What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Mary Adrinne Abejo -
Number of replies: 0
What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

Personally, the 2 leadership traits I would like to see in a leader of an academic institution would be: communicator and compassionate. A good dean must be able to communicate well with their constituents—may it be with the administration, faculty, or students. They should be able to express their own ideas and vision for the college and remain open to listen and understand the plights of their constituents. A good dean must also be able to express concern on the well-being of their constituents and act accordingly. They must genuinely care about the status of their constituents and aim to create a positive environment for everyone in the institution.

Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

As a student nurse, I absolutely see the importance and advantage of collaboration in which I recognize that a skill in collaboration would be beneficial for a nursing academic institution. In a clinical setting, to ensure that the best care is provided for the client, one must collaborate with the other members of the healthcare team. In an academic setting, the same is true since to provide an outstanding output, teamwork within the group must be employed. In the institution, a leader that is able to facilitate a collaboration between the administration, faculty, and students would allow an environment with a vision that aims to move forward, and this collaborative skill would help ensure proactive actions in matters related to the student body. A leader does not know everything. To be able to act accordingly, they must be able to collaborate with those involved.

From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.
During the consultation, the main concern that felt close to me was the financial concern addressed by one student from the Class of 2025. As a student who is living with a tight financial situation, I also found it difficult to finance my own needs just to be able to enroll in the College. I experienced the same concern with regards to my budget while having to accomplish my Physical Examination in the UPHS and complete my doses for the vaccinations. At some point, I found myself using my savings since my family is beginning to struggle financially. I also recognize that some of the requirements needed to ensure a proper education and practice in the College is expensive—even the uniform is expensive.