What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Edline Aubrey Sarmiento -
Number of replies: 0

1. What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

Pro-student. I look for a dean who places student welfare at the center of decision-making and other pursuits to success. As such, I aspire to have a dean who actively seeks insights from students, listens to their grievances, collaborates well with faculty and staff, and strives to address their concerns and needs. A pro-student dean also is also characterized by unwavering commitment to the core values of the College. Such a dean ensures transparency in their actions, provides a clear rationale for their decisions, and consistently demonstrates compassion by prioritizing the best interests of their constituents.

Pro-Filipino. As the leader of a nursing institution committed to producing competent nurse-leaders, I seek a dean who advocates for constituents on a broader level, fosters diversity and inclusion, and upholds academic freedom–all while staying true to the values of honor and excellence. A dean should serve as a role model for students, advocating for programs that facilitate grassroots engagement and improve access to nursing care.

Overall, a pro-student and pro-Filipino dean is crucial to the success of an academic institution, such as UPCN, as they are not focused on the academic mission of the institution, but also on the holistic development and well-being of its constituents and the Filipino people they are committed to serve.

2. Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

Assertiveness. Assertive leadership is integral in an academic institution because such a skill enables effective decision-making and communication, conflict resolution, and strong advocacy for the institution and its constituents. An assertive leader provides stability and direction during challenging times, playing a crucial role in efficiently navigating the complexities of academic leadership, which ultimately drives the institution towards success and development.

3. From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

Call for student spaces. Returning to traditional face-to-face classes has highlighted a pressing issue: the increasing demand for student spaces and resources. This is evident in the limited access to library and overcrowded student lounge, which affects nursing students like myself, making it challenging to find conducive areas for studying, group discussions, and meals amidst our busy schedules. Ensuring access to productive study and workspaces is essential on campus, as well as providing conducive areas for students to destress, relax, and/or eat during breaks. Addressing these challenges can involve extending library hours, enhancing the student lounge, adjusting schedules, and finding solutions for connectivity issues. Additionally, continuous feedback collection from students, faculty, and administration, and collaborating with student organizations, can contribute to the ongoing improvement of the college environment, benefiting everyone.