What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Trevor Phoenix Lomotos -
Number of replies: 0

1.) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

Among the leadership traits that I would like to see in the next dean of the UP College of Nursing would be the characteristic to be consultative, and the capacity to be collaborative with their stakeholders. I think leaders should be firm with their ideas, and they are able to exude this power to be a convincing figurehead. However, more than that, they must be grounded to the people that they are serving. They must be consultative to their ideas, actively listen to the problems of their people, and only then will they be aware of the primary concerns of the college. It should not stop there, as these primary concerns should then be the focus of their term, collaborating with all stakeholders (students, staff, faculty, administration) to craft objectives that would then focus on these concerns. By being consultative and collaborative, they are actively practicing the essential traits to be a leader. 

2.) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial.

One leadership skill that I would admire the dean to have would be the ability to discern immediate to non-immediate concerns. In an age where they are receiving multiple requests, their ability to have proper time management and good judgment will be their guiding light to always doing what benefits the student body and the college. With this, they must be able to recognize the perceived importance of such issues to students (e.g. RSA, Campus Activism) and see the longstanding consequences that putting these systems in place does to them. They must be able to look forward and see what students think about it, and always be there to review and always be keen in updating and improving. They should also be open to reviewing more immediate needs of the student, say for example, concerns about suspension of classes wherein they are enjoined to practice their powers to assert pro-student decisions. By having the ability to discern immediate to non-immediate concerns, we are able to prioritize projects that are truly deemed important to the stakeholders.

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

One interesting point that was raised to the sectoral was actually the rising cost of uniform, and the request for the dean to streamline this. This came from two year levels, and both looked into the costs of uniform, access to uniform, and the lack of an official tailor that would maintain the uniformity of the uniform. On a surface level, my initial reaction was that these are not the type of concerns that should be labeled as high priority by the UPCN administration, as it is more of a personal concern rather than systemic one. But looking back, I was also one of those freshies / sophies that was so frustrated about the uniform system because of the high cost and the amount of time that was invested into it. This just goes to show that although tuition is free, the cost of academics is still not, as there are still objects to purchase - duty paraphernalia, uniforms, food, dormitory fees. I am one with the UPCN community in recognizing that the administration should look into doing what they can to alleviate the costs of studying for their students, especially in something as important as the garments that they will be wearing throughout their stay in the college.