What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Leoneil Jenz Erna -
Number of replies: 0

What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

In my opinion, integrity and empathy are essential traits that a leader of an academic institution should possess. Being a role model to the students and faculty, a leader with integrity sets a positive example and influence in upholding ethical behaviors and professionalism. Integrity is also one of the most important foundations in gaining the trust of its community. Having integrity also promotes a culture of accountability and responsibility within the institution. On top of these, I believe that an empathetic leader is someone who genuinely listens to the concerns and feedbacks of its constituents which helps in better understanding their challenges. This understanding enables a leader to display sensitivity and compassion and provide the necessary support and resources to help them cope with their challenges. All these are crucial in maintaining the well-being of the institution through a nurturing and inclusive learning environment for all. 

Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

I believe that effective communication is an essential skill for a leader of an academic institution. Clear communication helps in aligning the constituents towards mutual goals and objectives which creates a sense of purpose among members. It is also important to be transparent about decisions concerning the body to maintain or enhance trust. An effective communicator is also aware that communication is two-way allowing the members to engage in a meaningful dialogue and speak up their concerns which are important in making adjustments to improve the institution and the overall experience of everyone. Conflicts are also inevitable in an academic community and effective communication can help in resolving conflicts by allowing everyone to be heard with fairness. Lastly, since academic institutions have a significant role in the larger community, an effective communicator can help in building positive linkages and relations which can promote collaboration with the public. 

From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

The recently concluded consultation provided an avenue for students to voice out their concerns and among those that were mentioned, what really sticked to me was the issue of inadequacy of student evaluation feedback. This is an issue that needs to be addressed because more than the grades, the evaluation of the performance is crucial in identifying our strengths and weaknesses that need improvement as a student nurse. Nursing is a field where competency is priority since we are dealing with human lives. Being able to assess both our theoretical and clinical competence is important for me as it helps me comprehensively gauge if I am able to meet the required standards that are asked of me. It also helps me in redirecting my effort to which knowledge or skills I need to focus on and spend extra time on. Knowing in myself that I am equipped with the needed knowledge and skills can also somehow help in addressing confidence issues whenever I am on duty since I have the tendency to overthink and doubt my own abilities.