What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Angelie Mae Mancenido -
Number of replies: 0

What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

In selecting a leader of an academic institution, I am mostly looking for someone who is inclusive and a visionary. I am looking for an inclusive leader because academic institutions interact with a wide range of stakeholders, including students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, community members, and government agencies. A leader who represents all sectors can engage with these diverse groups, listen to their concerns, and build constructive relationships. By considering the perspectives of different stakeholders, a leader can also make more balanced and informed decisions. Additionally, a visionary leader can set a clear and inspiring direction for the institution. By envisioning innovative approaches to education, research, and community engagement, they inspire the institution to adapt and thrive in a rapidly changing world. Their visionary thinking encourages faculty, staff, and students to pursue excellence and push the boundaries of knowledge and creativity.

Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

One leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution is change management. Change management is beneficial for an academic institution because it enables adaptation to a constantly evolving educational landscape. It facilitates stakeholder participation by addressing resistance and aligning diverse perspectives toward common goals. Effective resource allocation ensures efficient use of financial and human resources. Institutions can preserve their core values and mission while meeting contemporary needs. Change management equips institutions to respond to external pressures and crises with agility and resilience. Ultimately, it ensures that the institution can thrive and maintain its commitment to quality education and research in a dynamic environment.

From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

From the student consultation, a key point that struck me the most was the concern raised by the 3rd year student representative regarding the poor transition from online to face-to-face learning. They expressed that they would have their classes from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM and some classes would involve them watching a recorded lecture video face-to-face. This issue hits close to home to me because our batch is also very familiar with the struggles they are facing right now and to think that over time, this practice still continues to persist and remains unresolved, highlights the need to reevaluate our system of education in the college. It highlights the need for the institution to adapt swiftly and thoughtfully to the changing learning environment to ensure that students can continue to engage effectively with their studies. With this, I think it is important for us to call for the leaders of our academic institution to reevaluate our approach to blended learning, focusing on improving scheduling, content delivery, and overall support to create an environment where students can succeed both academically and personally. As members of the academic community, we also have the responsibility to collaborate with our institution's leaders to find innovative solutions that prioritize the well-being and academic success of all students. I think the sectoral consultation provided us with this opportunity and hopefully, the voices of our students will be heard and action will be taken accordingly by our leaders.