What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Mark John Aguilar -
Number of replies: 0

1) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why? 

• Leadership in an academic institution should have these two monumental traits: being pro-student and possessing effective communication skills. To be a pro-student leader is someone who haas a deep understanding of the challenges and concerns students face, coupled with the ability to proactively tackle these issues. This entails showing empathy and sympathy with students coupled with mobilization of concrete actions to enhance their problems in their educational experience. Moreover, effective communication is paramount in this context. A leader must establish an open channel for students to voice their concerns and ideas. Prompt and meaningful responses are essential, ensuring that students do not face unnecessary delays in resolving issues that can significantly impact their academic journeys. This combination of pro-student orientation and effective communication fosters an environment where students thrive academically, ensuring the institution's success and the holistic development of its learners.

2) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

• A leader with a balance of Emotional Intelligence (EQ), Intelligence Quotient (IQ), Social Intelligence (SQ), and Adaptive Intelligence (AQ). Having these allows for understanding and addressing the emotional needs of students especially their mental health concerns fostering a positive and supportive atmosphere. Congruently the leader ensures an informed decision-making, driving academic excellence and innovation in teaching and research. The leader’s SQ will facilitates effective collaboration and networking within the academic community, enhancing relationships and promoting a sense of belonging. Lastly, AQ, or adaptive intelligence, enables the leader to navigate and thrive in a dynamic academic landscape, responding adeptly to unforeseen challenges and changes. In essence, a leader with a balanced EQ, IQ, SQ, and AQ contributes significantly to the institution's holistic growth, resilience, and long-term success.

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

1. One relevant issue that has caught to my attention revolves around the prevalent problem of inaccessible and insufficient WiF connection, not confined solely to the student lounge but extending its reach to various areas within the college (classrooms and laboratory rooms). We all know that the nature of our coursework predominantly relies on a stable internet connection, this issue resonates deeply, warranting urgent and comprehensive resolution. It's important to emphasize that this problem isn't isolated to my experience alone but it affects a majority of the Iskonars community, causing recurring inconveniences and disruptions. Addressing this WiFi accessibility concern is not just a matter of personal preference; it is fundamentally tied to ensuring that all students, regardless of their financial circumstances, have equitable access to essential resources during their college journey. By resolving this issue, we empower the Iskonars student body, particularly those who may struggle to afford these necessities independently. In doing so, we can cultivate a learning environment that promotes holistic growth and encourages students to reach their full potential, ultimately enriching our theoreticals, laboratory and clinical education experiences.