Activity #8: Am I a Mentor?

Am I a mentor?

Am I a mentor?

by Romulo Esagunde -
Number of replies: 1

Some forms of mentoring existed decades ago within the student-teacher relationship although in a more restricted and confined set-up. Now mentoring is a structured program adopted by different institutions to harness the best learning experience form our students. Thus a good mentor should possess essential qualities such as knowledge/ expertise, good communication skills, listening and counselling skills , empathy, passion for teaching and most importantly time allotment for mentor-mentee engagement. 

In my own  set-up in the college of medicine, mentees come from all year levels of medical degree, from 1st year to medical interns and residents,  and each sets of mentees have different areas of concerns, goals and expected outcomes. Thus as a mentor in different levels, I try as much as possible to direct them towards their specific goals and make them stay focused and committed towards achieving these goals.

141 words

In reply to Romulo Esagunde

Re: Am I a mentor?

by Teresita Martinez -
Hi Doc Rhomy, most of the time it becomes too challenging to mentor different mentees that vary in the areas of concerns, goals or reception and interest to the mentorship program. I commend you for the effort to individualize the program and to tailor the approach to each of your mentees.

51 words