Activity 2

FADUL, Gianella Adeia P. - Activity 2

FADUL, Gianella Adeia P. - Activity 2

by Gianella Adeia Fadul -
Number of replies: 0

Choose one concept in our lesson today, give a brief explanation about the concept and cite how would you apply this learning in your everyday life.

• One of the concepts covered in the lesson is the impact of stress on one's immunity. A research of psychoneuroimmunology (PNI) confirms that our thoughts, feelings, moods, and beliefs influence our level of health and disease progression. Cortisol, a hormone secreted by the adrenal cortex in response to stress, suppresses immune system activity. Work and stress are said to change people's health habits. When stressed, many people smoke or drink more alcohol, both of which are detrimental to optimal immune function. In addition, people who are stressed are less likely to eat well or exercise regularly, both of which improve immunity. I could definitely relate to the latter because I have a tendency to overeat, or what I call "stress eating," in order to cope with the stress I am experiencing. I also don't exercise on a regular basis because I think I don't have enough time. A healthy immune system requires plenty of rest and relaxation so I make effort to get enough sleep at night because I don't feel well when I don't. I'm dizzy and nauseous. However, there are times when I can't sleep early because I have a lot of things to do or I have to study. Nonetheless, I will never forget what my psychologist told me. She advised me to never jeopardize my health for the sake of work or school. That's why I also try my best to eat healthy foods and avoid overeating. Time management is also essential. I should make time to exercise as well. I also try to go for a walk outside once in a while for exercise and relaxation because it's nice to get some fresh air since I'm always in my room. 

As we get older, we become more vulnerable to various infections and diseases. Our immune response to vaccines is reduced, and we produce more autoantibodies. Furthermore, the immune system functions at           a reduced level so the  antibody levels do not rise as quickly in response to an antigen challenge, making people more susceptible to infections. That's why I have to start taking care of my body now, before it's               too late. Our bodies have limitations, and we should not overwork or abuse them. Our family regularly receives flu vaccinations and we also made sure to receive COVID-19 vaccinations.