Activity 2

ARAGO, Alessandra Rein Isabel A. - Activity 2

ARAGO, Alessandra Rein Isabel A. - Activity 2

by Alessandra Rein Isabel Arago -
Number of replies: 0

Reflecting on the lesson

Choose one concept in our lesson today, give a brief explanation about the concept and cite how you would apply this learning in your everyday life.

Chapter 22.8 of the Lymphatic System and Immunity opens about stress and immunity. It discusses psychoimmunology or PNI. According to PNI research, thoughts, feelings, and beliefs influence a patient’s health and the course of the disease. For instance, they research on how cortisol as a stress response, also inhibits the immune system of the body. They also cited how heavy workload on campus may lead to habits that are detrimental to immune function such as not eating, sleeping, and exercising. 

The chapter continues, “Adequate sleep and relaxation are especially important for a healthy immune system. But when there aren’t enough hours in the day, you may be tempted to steal some from the night.”

And as a revenge bedtime procrastinator, this hit me hard. While skipping sleep gives me more hours to do school work, it is important for me to acknowledge that in the long run, it will just make me end up even farther behind. And I agree with what is stated in the book, it really blurs my concentration and blocks my creativity. 

In applying all that I have learned in this lesson, I realized that I should really start taking care of my immune system first and stop submitting my tasks at night (HAHAHAHA)