Healthy public policy

Cigarette-smoke free zones

Cigarette-smoke free zones

by Arianne Marie Estrella -
Number of replies: 0

Creating cigarette-smoke-free zones would target the general population, especially people living or working in these areas. RA 9211 or the Tobacco Regulation Act of 2003 regulates smoking in public places and imposes bans on areas such as schools, recreational facilities for children, elevators, hospitals, and more. The 100% Smoke-Free Environment Policy is also aligned with this and designates an outdoor smoking area for cigarette users. Offenders may be fined or imprisoned. 

Strict implementation and adherence to these policies would limit the cigarette use of smokers since it limits their places for consumption. The people around them would also be free from second and third-hand smoke exposure decreasing the risks of smoke-related diseases. This leads to lesser air pollution, and a cleaner environment creating a healthier community.

Nonetheless, a total cigarette-smoke-free environment would only be possible if these laws extend into the homes and private places of individuals and if ld willingly comply. Personally, I do not see it being implemented in my locality. There are no smoking signs posted everywhere but individuals would still smoke even right in front of the signages. People do not seem to take it seriously and I don't think many are being penalized for breaking the law.  As long as, the government and local units remain lax in implementing the law, and the people do not take the consequences of smoking seriously, a 100% cigarette-smoke-free environment is not attainable.

Reference:

MMDA. (2017, April 5). No Smoking in Public Places Policy: 5 Things You Need to Know . Retrieved September 4, 2022, from https://mmda.gov.ph/20-faq/285-no-smoking-in-public-places-policy.html