Healthy public policy

Compulsary use of seatbelts

Compulsary use of seatbelts

by Catherine Pascua -
Number of replies: 0

According to World Health Organization (2022), road traffic accidents are the greatest cause of mortality among children and young adults aged 5 to 29. Every year, over 1.3 million individuals are killed in traffic accidents. Pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists account for more than half of all road traffic fatalities. Human errors such as speeding, driving under the influence of alcohol or psychoactive substances, distracted driving, and failure to use safety equipment such as seatbelts are the most prevalent risk factors for road traffic accidents. Hence, the need for a law or set of rules to avoid road accidents and protect not only the driver and passengers of vehicles but also their loved ones. 

The Seat Belts Use Act of 1999, also known as Republic Act 8750, mandates both drivers and passengers of private and public vehicles to use and wear seat belts when inside the vehicle, with the engine running, on any street, road, or highway. Seat belts are required to be worn at all times by both front and back seat passengers in private vehicles, according to the regulations. When boarding public transport, the driver must tell his or her front passengers to fasten their seat belts. If a passenger refuses, he or she should not be permitted to board the vehicle.

Personally, my family and I strictly adhere to this enforced regulation not only while we're traveling around Metro Manila, which has the worst traffic in the country, but even when we're in our province, which is unusual for other motorists in our area. I've seen other motorists in our area who don't wear seat belts because they don't think it's important, and occasionally they argue that it's inconvenient for them too. Other motorists and passengers use their seat belts just when they are passing a national highway, but when they are merely traveling within a city in a province, they sometimes believe it is unnecessary. I believe that the government bears a significant amount of accountability for the law's implementation

References:

World Health Organization. (2022, June 20). Road traffic injuries. WHO. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/road-traffic-injuries

R.A. 8750. (1999). The Lawphil Project. https://lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra1999/ra_8750_1999.html