Healthy public policy

Sexuality education lessons in public elementary and high schools

Sexuality education lessons in public elementary and high schools

by Ashley Jayette Mendoza -
Number of replies: 0

Health Public Policy: Sexuality education lessons in public elementary and high schools

Comprehensive sexuality education (CSE) aims to educate the youth on sex, sexuality and bodily development from anatomy and reproductive health to contraception, childbirth and sexually transmitted infections. UNFPA (2021) further establishes that this rights-based and gender-transformative approach encourages young people to examine and cultivate positive attitudes and values around their rights and sexual and reproductive health by including discussions on relationships, culture and gender roles, social issues such as human rights, gender equality and bodily autonomy, and threats like discrimination, sexual abuse and violence.

In the Philippines, steps have been made to establish CSE into the Philippine curricula. In 2018, the Department of Education published Order No. 031, S. 2018 which focuses on the policy guidelines on CSE implementation throughout the archipelago. In this document, CSE is aligned to the K to 12 Curriculum with the established goal of being a “curriculum-based process of teaching and learning about cognitive, emotional, physical and social aspects of sexuality that is scientific, age-and-developmentally appropriate, culturally and gender responsive, and with rights-based approach” that “aims to equip the learners with knowledge, skills and attitudes and values that will empower them to realize their health, well-being and dignity.”

If executed properly, sex education in the country can reduce the prevalence of teenage pregnancy, overpopulation/population growth, and STDs/STIs because it promotes responsible family planning and lowers the risks of having unsafe sex. It shall assist in growing the confidence and strengthening the skill of young people in order to develop stronger and more meaningful relationships while gaining control of their sexual identity and expression. Amongst many other advantages of sex-ed, to me, the vital advantages of sexuality education lessons in public elementary and high schools are the normalization of sexual and reproductive topics and issues that are still taboo within the country; and the correction of the myths and misinformation around sex within a society that is heavily influenced by religion. In my opinion, the possible disadvantages of this health policy may be caused by providing education that does not meet the standards set by DepEd and UNFP. Some are as follows. Incorrect/improper/incomplete training of educators on the topic and the handling of this sensitive subject may change the focus of the education towards morals and beliefs regarding sex (which may be influenced by the teacher’s or the society’s bias towards the topic), rather than the science and facts. Lack of or limited consideration of the diverse morals, beliefs, and religions within the Philippines during the development and implementation of the CSE curricula could lead to unethical, disrespectful, and biased education.

Yes, I see this public health policy being implemented within my locality. In fact, I have seen and experienced it myself. When I was in high school, lower grade levels were provided health education on the human anatomy and the proper use of contraceptives during their Health subject. Unfortunately, my batch was not given the same opportunity but our ethics and social science subjects gave us the chance to discuss social issues regarding rights and sexual and reproductive health, and culture and gender roles. A special subject (SCALE) in our senior high school years allowed us to hold events around subjects or issues of our choosing and some of my batchmates used that opportunity to conduct lectures on sex, HIV/AIDs, and the threats around sexuality (discrimination and sexual abuse/violence) in our high school and other surrounding high schools and elementary. Outside of the four walls of education and the CSE, I have attended events that offered unofficial sex-ed such as pride galas with free HIV/AIDs testing and counseling, and party favors that contain condoms and pamphlets on available local services for HIV/AIDs; seminars focusing on SOGIE and LGBTQ+; and donation drives (blood and money) that provide free counseling and education on STDs/STIs.

References:

Department of Education. (2018, July 13). Policy guidelines on the implementation of the comprehensive sexuality education. https://www.deped.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/DO_s2018_031-1.pdf

UNFPA. (2021, September 13). Comprehensive sexuality education. United Nations Population Fund. https://www.unfpa.org/comprehensive-sexuality-education