Activity 3: Forum

Challenges in curriculum critique, stakeholders' analysis and ILO-content alignment

Challenges in curriculum critique, stakeholders' analysis and ILO-content alignment

by Marie Lynn Fama -
Number of replies: 0

Curriculum management is about the process of developing, maintaining, and improving curricula. It includes looking into the program goal, outcomes, content, assessment of learning, and pedagogy. The curriculum management includes the critiquing of the current curriculum to look for areas of improvement. I encountered problems with the critique of the current course curriculum that I plan to develop due to the unavailability of documents to review. This made me fail to conduct an appropriate analysis which affected my proposed curriculum improvement plan. I also had challenges in my stakeholders' analysis which I needed to justify  the rationale for my proposed course curriculum. I went ahead with developing my course plan without first analyzing the stakeholder’s  interests, needs and requirements and ended up in a time-consuming plan that needed to be changed in the end. I realized that curriculum management is not an easy task. To avoid wasting time and effort it is important to  critique properly the current curriculum you planned to develop, never neglect to do competency and stakeholders’ analysis as well as the analysis of curricular effects.

Curriculum implementation is about translating the written curriculum into syllabuses, schemes of work, and lessons to be delivered to students. Here, I had some difficulty  in creating my instructional design because of non alignment of my ILO, content, learning strategies and assessment. Several revisions had to be made. This happened because I identified first the contents per module before my ILO statements.  I realized that the ILO must first be developed and everything else will follow.

In the  management and implementation of a  curriculum  it is very important to conduct regular curricular assessment to check for problems that may be hidden and appropriate changes can be made.