What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Kristine Chin Lavarias -
Number of replies: 0

1) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?
The two leadership traits I look for a leader for our institution are empathy and integrity. Empathy is important for understanding and addressing the needs and challenges of students and faculty. I would like to see changes for better management and environment for all constituents. Furthermore, a leader with integrity aligns her actions with her own words. She also takes responsibility for her decisions and actions.

2) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial.
One leadership skill that would greatly benefit the institution is active listening. A leader who practices this demonstrates a genuine commitment to understanding the perspectives, ideas, and challenges of students, faculty, and staff. Active listening not only builds trust but also allows the leader to comprehend information more effectively, leading to thoughtful and informed responses to the challenges faced by the community. In an academic setting where diverse perspectives and ideas contribute to growth, this skill becomes a foundation for promoting a collaborative and inclusive environment.

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.
The concern about the overwhelming workload resonated with me during the consultation. Since we are expected to give our best care for the patient and balance the workload for papers and other activities, there are several times in which our mental and physical well-being were compromised. This issue is highly relevant as the strain impacts our ability to fully prepare and deliver best possible care to our patients.