What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Andro Morelos -
Number of replies: 0
Questions: 
1) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

Two leadership traits that I highly value in a leader of an academic institution are strong communication skills and a passion for education. Effective communication is vital because it ensures that the leader can convey their vision and ideas clearly to all stakeholders, fostering a cohesive and collaborative environment. In an academic setting, where diverse perspectives and ideas converge, the ability to communicate clearly helps unite faculty, staff, and students towards common goals. A leader's passion for education is equally important as it serves as a catalyst for inspiration and motivation. When a leader is deeply committed to the institution's mission and values, this enthusiasm becomes infectious, encouraging others to strive for excellence and high levels of achievement. Passionate leadership can create a dynamic and energized atmosphere within the academic community.

2) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

One leadership skill that is highly beneficial for an academic institution is strategic leadership. This skill involves setting clear goals, developing effective plans, and implementing strategies to achieve those goals. In the constantly evolving landscape of education, having a leader who can navigate change and guide the institution strategically is crucial. Strategic leadership ensures that the institution remains adaptable and relevant, staying ahead of emerging trends and challenges. It involves making informed decisions that align with the institution's long-term objectives, fostering sustainability and growth. By employing strategic leadership, academic leaders can proactively shape the future of the institution, positioning it for continued success and positive impact.

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

The issue of academic workload, as highlighted by student leaders during the consultation, resonated with me personally. Despite implementing time management strategies, the workload often consumes a significant portion of my time, impacting my ability to balance family and personal hobbies. This issue is particularly relevant as I frequently experience physical and mental exhaustion, leading to burnout. The acknowledgment of this concern during the consultation gives me hope that the institution is attentive to the challenges students face. Addressing this issue can potentially pave the way for a healthier work/education-life balance, enhancing the overall well-being of students within the academic community.