Activity 2

SEE, Nixie Skyler M.

SEE, Nixie Skyler M.

by Nixie Skyler See -
Number of replies: 0

1. Choose one concept in our lesson today, give a brief explanation about the concept, and cite how would you apply this learning in your everyday life.

In this lesson, stress and immunity talked about psychoneuroimmunology (PNI), the relationship between lifestyle and immune function, and increasing one’s stress resistance, which I would like to emphasize in this discussion.

Under this concept, it was stated that “people resistant to the negative health effects of stress are more likely to experience a sense of control over the future, a commitment to their work, expectations of generally positive outcomes for themselves, and feelings of social support.” (Tortora & Derrickson, 2017), and it was also mentioned that cultivating a positive mindset, getting involved in work/studies, and building rapport with others are things that one can do to increase stress resistance, which I could relate to the most.

Growing up in a strong and competitive family, “pressure” never left my side, whether it be in academics or in my personal life and I was never taught to be very vulnerable and emotional nor make decisions based on emotions, and I think that I have been practicing and applying the things to increase stress resistance in life since then. In times of distress or problems, I would usually look at the bright side and then immediately think of a course of action rather than let myself sink in deep into my emotions. Moreover, I fully dedicate myself to things that I say I would do (e.g. doing homework, doing chores, etc.). I may not do it on time, but when I start a task, I ensure to finish it first before doing anything else. Finally, I am also able to build good relationships with others, for instance, my friends here in college <3 With them, I am able to resist or overcome any stress because of their unwavering support. 

Basically, starting from my home, I was already trained on how to increase stress resistance, which I am truly grateful for because I am able to, somehow, withstand different stressful situations.

Reference:

Tortora, G. J., & Derrickson, B. H. (2017). Tortora’s Principles of Anatomy & Physiology. Wiley.