What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Frances Rei Reyes -
Number of replies: 0

1) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

The role to be played by the head of an academic institution is no easy feat. It necessitates having multiple qualities of a leader. Personally, I believe that having both competency and compassion is important in order for a leader of an academic institution to be successful in paving the way for success for all constituents. First, having the competency means having sufficient knowledge on interpersonal relationships, adequate leadership experience, and decorated credentials on the academe and medical sciences as well. Beyond competency,  compassion is also vital in dealing with professional relationships with the constituents so empathy, open communication, sensitivity, and humanity can be practiced especially when policies are to be made. Both of these leadership traits will ensure that the leader will have the mind and heart in their service. 

2) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

One leadership skill that I perceive to be beneficial for an academic institution is the ability of the leader to fully comprehend the concerns of their constituents. This means to understand the circumstance of each constituent group i.e. students, faculty, staff, etc. and directly observe their situations. The only way I see full comprehension to be possible is when a leader fully immerses oneself to the lived experiences of their constituents. This will ultimately provide the leader with a high level of awareness on aspects to be improved in the system, opportunities for policy development, and parts to be changed to promote a healthy and professional environment.

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

During the consultation, the topic that resonated with me the most is the topic about the immense academic load and overwhelming pacing of the curriculum. My first-hand experience with this reality made me realize just how much can be done if only pro-student policies can be implemented. This is immensely personal and relevant to me because I myself have experienced moments of severe physical, mental, emotional, and social exhaustion.