What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Charles Jasper Lim -
Number of replies: 0

1. What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

Two leadership traits that I would like to observe in a leader of an academic institution are being (1) goal-oriented and (2) empathetic. Being goal-oriented is crucial as it allows the leader to set a clear direction for the institution and inspire its constituents, both faculty and students, to work towards a common purpose that may not only be beneficial for the institution and its constituents, but for the larger society as well. A goal-oriented leader is able to establish a strategic direction that guides decision-making, resource allocation, and other significant processes that can ultimately drive academic excellence and growth. Similarly, empathy is crucial in the context of an academic institution because it fosters a compassionate and supportive environment, leading to a more cohesive and collaborative educational community where constituents can nurture and thrive altogether. An empathetic leader is one that understands and relates to the diverse needs, concerns, and aspirations of faculty, staff, and students, and is well-equipped in addressing these needs in a rational and holistic manner, thereby fostering a sense of belonging among constituents. As such, I look forward to having a leader who effectively and actively displays both goal-oriented and empathetic traits as I believe that such a leader is well-positioned to drive academic excellence while being able to ensure the overall well-being and inclusivity of all the constituents within the institution.

2. Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

One leadership skill that I believe will be beneficial for an academic institution is effective communication skills. In academia, this skill is essential, firstly, because it enables administrators to articulate a clear vision and mission for the institution, thereby ensuring that all stakeholders, including faculty, students, and staff, fully comprehend and align with the institution's goals. Secondly, effective communication promotes collaboration and teamwork among diverse groups within the institution leading to more innovative and well-rounded approaches to problem-solving and decision-making. This is especially critical for institutions like the University of the Philippines, known for its diverse population of constituents. Moreover, effective communication skills are vital for addressing concerns and conflicts in a constructive and timely manner, thus maintaining a harmonious and productive academic environment where all constituents can thrive. Lastly, effective communication is instrumental in engaging with external stakeholders, including donors, government entities, and the broader community. This engagement is particularly essential for UP, a national university funded by the Philippine government, as it facilitates the acquisition of support and resources necessary for the institution's continued growth and development.

3. From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

As a student of the university, one key point that struck to me the most is the call for a more compassionate and pro-student approach to leadership. In my years of studying at the UP College of Nursing, I have personally experienced the toll that our demanding curriculum can take on our physical, emotional, and mental well-being, often resulting in persistent stress and burnout. This issue resonates deeply with me because I've walked the same challenging path as my peers, and I wholeheartedly believe it's time for a change. While some may argue that such stress and burnout is the norm in our course or university, I firmly hold a different perspective and hope for a leader who shares this vision with me. I envision a leader who not only understands our struggles but actively dedicates efforts to alleviate them. This leader should value the health and well-being of students, recognizing that a compassionate approach is not only critical for our success as its constituents but also for cultivating a healthier, more supportive learning environment.