What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Jullani Alexi Estrella -
Number of replies: 0
  1. What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

In selecting the dean of the college, I’m looking for someone who has resilience and adaptability. Dealing with student nurses and navigating resource constraints present can be highly demanding, hence the need to effectively weather the challenges, and quickly adjust strategies to address evolving situations. By inspiring hope and motivation among the faculty and students in the face of adversity, they can help maintain the morale and determination of the college community, ensuring that they continue to strive for excellence. In addition, a dean must be able to listen to students' concerns, engage in constructive dialogue, and find common ground to address issues. Effective communication also extends to collaborating with other university departments, administrators, and external stakeholders to secure additional resources and support. In a position like the Dean of the College of Nursing, it's essential to balance leadership qualities with the ability to mobilize resources and foster unity among students, faculty, and the broader university community to ensure the best possible educational experience for student nurses.

1. Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

I believe that empathy is a leadership skill that will be beneficial for the college because it allows to understand and connect with the concerns and needs of the academic institution, fostering trust among students, faculty, and staff. This open and empathetic communication creates an atmosphere of transparency and mutual respect. An empathetic leader can also recognize signs of distress and provide support to students and faculty experiencing stress and burnout. It encourages inclusivity by considering the diverse backgrounds and perspectives within the college. This helps in making decisions that are fair and equitable for all stakeholders, ensuring that no one feels marginalized or excluded.

1. From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

From the consultation with students, there was no strategy presented. Rather it was more on student representatives raising their concerns regarding the college. However, a concern that struck close to me was the lack of resources the college provides for the number of students present. This was relevant for our batch as well given that we usually have to either recycle materials (some even expired) during skills lab or provide for our own despite this being the responsibility of the school. There is limited spaces conducive for learning outside of class hours such as libraries and open areas.