What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Ma. Trisha Paula Rimando -
Number of replies: 0

1) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

In light of the recent student consultation, during which various issues arise, I would like to see our incoming dean as someone who empathizes and displays genuine care for the students. It is imperative that the prospective dean demonstrates a steadfast commitment to ensuring equitable treatment for all students, regardless of their societal standing. She should ensure that no one is being left behind. The effective resolution for our concerns hinges upon the practical manifestation of these two traits through proactive measures, including regular routine dialogues with the student community, and being receptive to our grievances. 

2) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

A leader who serves as a unifying force for the members of an academic institution needs strong communication skills. She must possess this skill to be able to connect to her constituents, to be able to effectively convey her vision and to convince others to actively participate in the institution's initiatives. Most importantly, excellent communication skills fosters trust, respect and rapport among the diverse stakeholders. 

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

The concern regarding the overwhelming workload felt closest to me. This holds particular significance for me because the academic demands have had a negative impact on my well-being. Moreover, I'm not alone in this struggle; many of my peers have sought professional help to cope with the overwhelming stress. Addressing this concern could lead to improved performance among students, particularly during clinical rotations where our skills and abilities are of utmost importance. If we only have the chance to prioritize our own well-being, then we can provide the highest quality care possible.