Activity 1: MY STRESS RESPONSE

REMOLONA - Activity 1

REMOLONA - Activity 1

by Ezra Alexandra Remolona -
Number of replies: 0

In reality, I have a diverse range of stress responses depending on a situation. Most of the time, I easily get stressed but also recover quickly from the situation. I vocally release my stress to myself as a coping mechanism, then eventually starts on getting things done. That is why in challenging scenarios, I end up feeling eustress which increases my determination and motivation to strive better to attain my desired results with any given tasks. However, there are unavoidable cases wherein I undergo acute stress, particularly when I try to meetup deadlines, deal with minor accidents or simply misplaced things, I constantly experience sweating, and sometimes muscle aches. Through the lessons I’ve learned particularly in discussing about the endocrine system, I’ve understood that these events occur due to the fight-or-flight response of the body when undergoing stress. The body's sympathetic nervous system is engaged in reaction to acute stress because of the abrupt hormone release. Subsequently, adrenaline and noradrenaline are among the catecholamines that are released when the sympathetic nervous system stimulates the adrenal glands. From this alarm reaction, the body starts to adapt to the stressors through the resistance stage leading to either recovery or exhaustion. Hence, it is important to understand one’s fight-or-flight response because as the body primes a corresponding action, this aids in better preparation to perform under pressure and effectively cope with any threatening situation immediately.