Activity 1: MY STRESS RESPONSE

BAÑADA, Nicole Angelie B. - Activity 1

BAÑADA, Nicole Angelie B. - Activity 1

by Nicole Angelie Bañada -
Number of replies: 0

People have different ways of showing how stressful their situation is. In my end, I often demonstrate the fight reactions first such as still trying to review even if I can already feel the exhaustion.  During this phase, I feel my heartbeat becomes faster and I become more alert, allowing myself to read my notes faster than ever. Some people may also demonstrate quick breathing and elevated blood pressure. I use my energy by crying and throwing soft things in the wall and after that, I close my eyes and allow myself to rest from the exhaustion caused by the stressful event.

Growing up, I have always known and heard the term, “adrenaline rush” whenever someone demonstrate increase in activeness and sharpness. Upon learning our lesson, I was able to gain the explanation that I was longing for for how many years.

Our body is designed to have a fight-or-flight response in order to avoid perceived dangers. When our body or sense organs perceive a certain stimulus as a threat, the amygdala processes the informations and emotions and sends a distress signal to the hypothalamus, the area of the brain which is incharge of most of the body’s involuntary movement such as breathing and heart rate. When the hypothalamus receives the information, it triggers the sympathetic nervous system and sends signals to the adrenal glands through the autonomic nerves. The adrenal glands then releases hormones called, “epinephrine” or sometimes called, “adrenaline” to the bloodstream, allowing the body to have few physiological changes in order to fight stress. The hormones allows changes such as increase im blood pressure, heart rate, and breathing. Extra oxygen goes up to the brain, also allowing the increase in alertness and increase in the function of the sense organs. Epinephrine also activates the surge of glucose, supplying energy in the body.

When the stress becomes longer, the adrenal glands releases cortisol, allowing the body to stay on high alert and energy. When the body no longer perceives danger, the cortisol level will drop down, the heart rate, breathing, and blood pressure decreases, and the glucose level will deplete, allowing you body to feel exhausted due to the decrease of the energy levels in the form of glucose.

Since stressful events require a lot of energy, our body tends to use it in different ways to fight stress. When our body uses all of its energy, we feel exhausted and sleepy.

References:

With my stress comes sleepiness. (n.d.). Go Ask Alice! Retrieved October 13, 2022, from https://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered-questions/stress-causes-sleepiness/

Harvard Health. (2020, July 6). Understanding the stress response. Retrieved October 13, 2022, from https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/understanding-the-stress-response