Unmet Need and Practice of Family Planning

by Edline Aubrey Sarmiento -
Number of replies: 0
  1. What do you think are the reasons for the high unmet need of FP in the Philippines?

I think one of the central reasons why there is a high unmet need for family planning is the poor and weak implementation of reproductive health services. Despite the existence of Reproductive Health Law, quality family planning services and practices are still not universally accessible to the mass. 

In 1997, a study conducted by Casterline et al., revealed that factors underlying the high unmet need of family planning in the Philippines include (1) inaccurate measurement of fertility preferences and contraceptive practice; (2) weakly held fertility preferences; (3) women's low perception of their risk of conceiving; (4) excessive costs of contraception. Reflecting on this, we can see how these factors continuously persist in society and remain to contribute to the high unmet need of family planning in the country. Sadly, socio-economic factors often hinder many individuals and couples from achieving their right to quality health care because of its excessive costs. 

Additionally, I think misinformation is also an underlying factor for the high unmet need of family planning. In this age of technology, many are easily swayed by the spread of fake news and misinformation in the mass media. This can lead to confusion, doubt, and fear on the use of contraceptives–all of which can influence the unmet need of family planning. 

1. What are ways you can suggest to increase the practice of FP in the country? Give at least 1-2 suggestions.

Below are the strategies that I could think of to strengthen the practice of family planning in the country:

• Mass education. This aims to raise awareness and destigmatize the use of family planning methods so that individuals are able to make sound decisions based on evidence-based information. This can also include implementation of cost-effective IEC programs and materials with the aim of widening the reach of information on reproductive health. I believe that as student nurses, we strongly share the responsibility to increase the awareness of individuals regarding their options and rights to quality healthcare. 
  • Increase funding for reproductive healthcare. Sufficient budget allocation to reproductive healthcare ensures the development of more proactive reproductive health services that consequently promote people’s quality of life. Funding for reproductive healthcare should also include hiring and supporting skilled healthcare professionals to ensure the sustenance of family planning services.
  • Strengthen and widen the implementation of policies on reproductive healthcare. This aims to ensure that reproductive healthcare is safe and universally accessible. I suggest to lower, if not totally remove, the costs of contraceptives to make it affordable for the people. Also, programs designed for the promotion of family planning practices should include and reach the individuals who live in far-flung areas. 

References:

Baccay, K.B. (2020). Responsible Parenthood and Family Planning [PowerPoint Slides]. University of the Philippines Manila Virtual Learning Environment: https://vle.upm.edu.ph/

Casterline, J. B., Perez, A. E., & Biddlecom, A. E. (1997). Factors underlying unmet need for family planning in the Philippines. Studies in Family Planning, 28(3), 173–191. https://doi.org/10.2307/2137886